Experience Co acknowledges the continuing Sea Country management and custodianship of the Great Barrier Reef by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Traditional Owners whose rich culture.
We at Fitzroy Island Adventures offer our visitors unforgettable nature based adventure experiences. To achieve this, management and staff are dedicated to excellence in operational management safety, customer service and nature interpretation, whilst protecting and preserving our working environment within the World Heritage Protected Areas.
We believe that tourism operators can play an essential role in helping to protect the World Heritage Listed sites we visit via entry fee contributions to Protected Area Managers and through the sustainable use of the Wet Tropics Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef which includes visitor education.
Fitzroy Island Adventures aims to minimise adverse impacts on the environment and to achieve this aim conducts all operations with a view to prevent, reduce or mitigate harmful effects on natural resources and meet the requirements of all relevant environmental regulations and best practice codes.
Our Environmental Management Plans assist us in identifying the potential negative effects which our business may cause to ecosystems and enable us to identify our contributions to emissions in order that management strategies are implemented to minimise and monitor our emissions and any adverse ecological effects. Some of our current policies include:
- Recycling policy
- Catering outsourced to local restaurants, who source their products locally and offer eco-friendly packaging.
- Every vessel has water refill stations and refillable water bottles are sold on board.
- Changing our brochures over to % recycled paper
- Visitor education has been identified as a key strategy to help us protect the environment and Fitzroy Island Adventures documents visitor interpretation programs within our Interpretation Management Plans. Part of our visitor education is working with GBR Biology and assisting in research and education.
- All vessels and offices are cleaned with certified eco-friendly products to avoid toxic chemicals
Tackling Climate Change
At Fitzroy Island Adventures we believe each person around the world can reduce their total emissions each year. There are hundreds of different ways we can do this by introducing environmental practices into our everyday life such as using energy saving appliances, low energy bulbs, reduction of waste and litter and the use of environmentally friendly detergents.
When travelling on our eco cruise we encourage our guests to ensure these practices are maintained, even whilst away from home, and to choose to support tour operators who have achieved the Ecotourism certification logo.
Fitzroy Island Adventures carries an Advanced Eco Accreditation – the standard level of accreditation awarded by Ecotourism Australia. These certifications distinguish us as one of Australia’s leading and most innovative ecotourism products.
At Fitzroy Island Adventures, all of our Eco cruise & activities are carried out following industry best standards/guidelines and your patronage helps support important conservation initiatives aimed directly at the protection of Australia’s natural heritage.
Our Environmental Management Policy:
- Commits us to comply with relevant environmental legislation and regulations
- Commits us to monitoring environmental impacts
- Commits us to ensure that there is no long term environmental or cultural impact from our business
- Commits us to seek to reduce emissions and waste generated by our business
- Is available on request and held in the office for staff to reference
- Is reviewed annually by senior management
- Is adopted and promoted at the highest managerial level